Tuesday, September 29, 2009

King & Cardinal

A striking portrait of Albert I, by Eugène de Bremaecker (1879-1963), dating from 1923. Although it was sculpted after the war, it seems the King is still shown in military attire? (Compare this postcard from the war period.) He looks a mixture of sadness, weariness, shrewdness and grim determination (reminds me of this photograph of Albert and Marie-José during the war.) What do you think?Désiré-Joseph, Cardinal Mercier, Archbishop of Malines and Primate of Belgium, sculpted by the same artist. (Photo credits)

2 comments:

Alex Engwete said...

I don't know about this background. But it deems the page and the content, which are supposed to be shiny as the blog is about crowned kings! A matter of "symbols" indeed...

May said...

I've been experimenting a bit with the look of the site. I may go back to the plain background though, as that's what I've always settled on in the past.