Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Heated Debate

Over at The Elizabeth Files, Claire Ridgway has been recalling the anniversary of the trial of Mary Queen of Scots. Always a topic to arouse passion and controversy:-

Mary Queen of Scots- Tragic Heroine?
The Trial of Mary Queen of Scots

Whatever one thinks of Mary, she is an important figure, not only in her own right, but as the forebear of many other doomed monarchs, such as Charles I, Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette. I believe the Belgian royal family are her direct descendants as well.

2 comments:

Theresa Bruno said...

Poor Mary! She was used, abused and put under house arrest. I feel both Mary and Elizabeth were victims, but Elizabeth was wise enough never to get married. I believe both did what they thought had to be done in a horrible situation.

http://historywasneverlikethat.blogspot.com/

May said...

I actually feel for both queens, but I think that personal, political and religious factors placed them in inevitably irreconcilable positions.