Thursday, September 24, 2009

Gunfire at Marche-les-Dames???

I stumbled upon a curious article, Albert 1er, la mort d'un roi, by one Didier Demeter. Like many others before him, he casts doubt on the official version of Albert's death. According to the author, Charles Hennuy, a resident of Marche-les-Dames, reported hearing a gunshot echoing through the cliffs on the fatal day around 4 pm (roughly the time the King was thought to have died), but the inquest failed to investigate this claim. Never before have I come across this assertion, although I was familiar with Hennuy's name. He is mentioned in various accounts as one of the villagers enlisted by the royal entourage (incognito) to assist them in finding the King's body. Does anyone know if this man really ever made such a claim? I am not sure whether to believe the article, it is rather odd. The author's critique of the inquest into the King's death is interesting, detailed and in-depth, but then he falls to making nasty insinuations about Albert and Elisabeth without any proof. (I have discussed some of these old rumors, HERE). I also found it totally unnecessary, and rather ludicrous, to drag the theft of the Just Judges into the story.

2 comments:

Alex Engwete said...

Tragic story indeed. And there are always conspiracy theorists coming out of the woodwork... By the way, you mention Marche-les-Dames. I thought there were also para-commando or commando proving grounds at Marche-les-Dames... Maybe I'm wrong.

May said...

I believe you're correct. It seems to me that the Belgian army also does rock-climbing training there, although they keep away from the fatal cliff...