Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Love Letter



Here is a touching letter, dated August 11, 1950, and written by King Leopold III to his wife, Princess Lilian, during the tragic Royal Question. After years of calumnies and betrayals, culminating in violence and bloodshed in the streets, the King had just been forced to delegate his powers to his son and heir, Prince Baudouin. It was the prelude to Leopold's abdication in 1951. Lilian, still in exile in Switzerland, was deeply grieved by the situation, but Leopold tried to console her:
Comme j'ai eu mal d'entendre ta tristesse au téléphone tout-à-l'heure. Cette impression m'a été d'autant plus pénible qu'enfin, après 9 semaines de lutte et de fatigue et d'épreuves, on avait abouté à une solution d'apaisement! Je comprends ton état d'esprit, ton état de révolte. C'est une nouvelle et grande preuve d'amour que tu me donnes. Je te serre contre moi de tout mon coeur ma petite Lil adorée. Mais il faut maintenant voir ce que Dieu a fait encore une fois pour nous dans tous ces évènements. Encore une fois il nous a protégé... 
Grace à Baudouin, la continuité est assurée pour le moment du moins. Il a été d'une aide magnifique et aujourd'hui il s'est acquitté de son devoir d'une façon vraiment magnifique. Vis à vis de moi il a été vraiment touchant. 
Je crois que j'ai fait ce qu'il fallait et que le Pays comprendra mon attitude. 
Et maintenant, parlons de nous! Je ne peux plus rester loin de toi. Et toi non plus. Nous devons tomber dans les bras l'un de l'autre. Nous ne pouvons vivre...

Translation:

How I suffered to hear your sadness on the telephone just now. This impression was all the more painful for me, as, after 9 weeks of struggle, fatigue, and ordeals, we had finally reached a solution of appeasement! I understand your state of mind, your state of revolt. It is a new and great proof of love which you give me. I clasp you to myself with all my heart my adored little Lil. But now we must see what God, once again, has done for us in all these events. Once again, He has protected us... 
Thanks to Baudouin, continuity is assured, for the moment at least. He was a magnificent help, and, today, he discharged his duty in a truly magnificent manner. In regard to me, he was truly touching. 
I believe that I did what was required and that the Country will understand my attitude. 
And now, let's speak of us! I can no longer stay far away from you. Nor can you. We must fall into each other's arms. We cannot live...

(A facsimile of this letter is included in the appendices of Un couple dans la tempête, by Marcel Jullian and Claude Désiré)

No comments: