Monday, August 31, 2009

Remembering Diana, Princess of Wales

Strange...only two days after commemorating Queen Astrid's death, we have the anniversary of another young, beautiful, popular royal lady's tragic loss. Exactly 12 years ago today, Diana, Princess of Wales, was killed in a car crash in Paris. Many have compared Astrid and Diana (both called "Queen of Hearts"). Despite some odd parallels, I think they were very different. In many ways, Diana's story is even more tragic than Astrid's. In any case, I pray that both may rest in peace.

PS: please leave a comment for Astrid, too!

10 comments:

MadMonarchist said...

I have rather mixed feelings about Diana and yet, her death is one of those things that has stuck in my mind, one of those occasions when you always remember where you were at what you were doing when you first heard.

May said...

Same here.

Lucy said...

I love Princess Diana..and I remember that sad, sad day. Thank you for posting this.

Tudor Daughter said...

I know exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news. It was tragic. I was surprised at how deeply I felt the loss of Diana,someone who I had never met and would never meet, but had such an impact on my life. More so than I realized.

May said...

Lucy, thanks for the comment. Have you considered posting on her yourself? It would be very interesting.

May said...

Yes, Susie, it's striking the way so many people felt this way.

aarondavidson said...

I find it very sad that here in the UK this anniversary was hardly mentioned this year. There is still no real public monument to her.

May said...

That is sad, Mr. Davidson. Whatever controversies might have surrounded her, there is no doubt that she brought joy and comfort to many. She ought to be remembered, and kept in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I saw Diana on a few occasions Matterhorn. Two things struck me-her immense physical beauty and secondly her great simplicity-not arrogant or conceited in any way. I think she shared these with Astrid-but Astrid had a loving family and husband-and the grace of the Faith. We all need that.

May said...

Yes, very true.